What we do (our Mission Statement)
We preserve and protect records of our milling heritage, to make them freely available to the public.
Why we do it (our Vision Statement)
To become the national centre of excellence for learning, understanding and research on mills, milling and the historic uses of traditional power sources.
To do this we aim to:
- seek and acquire historical and contemporary records of mills and milling;
- store, care for and keep together collections placed in our care;
- encourage research into our milling heritage;
- make as much of our material as possible available for public inspection;
- provide facilities for research and education at the Archive and on the Internet;
- offer advice and support to collectors, promoting future deposits;
- build close links with existing organisations holding mill material, with a view to sharing information and possibly resources;
- actively encourage an interest in mills by developing and promoting education and information programmes based on local communities and on the need for lifelong learning.