Ponders End Mills, Enfield
A mill at Enfield is mentioned in the Domesday book. An Act of Parliament of 1650 provided for the building of a new mill, then known as Flanders Mill; parts of this building are believed to still survive.
By the mid 19th century the mill was being run by a Mr Young, who later went into partnership with G R Wright. After Young's death the business became G R Wright and Sons. At this time the mill had two breastshot wheels and seven pairs of stones; by the early years of the 20th century, roller mills had been installed, and the mill was one of the first to adopt electricity as its power source in 1909. The mill has been successively modernised and expanded and remains a working mill under the management of the Wright family.
|Alternative names||Enfield Mill, Flanders Mill|
|Power source||Electricity, Water|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill, Watermill|
|Mill functions||Corn mill|
|NGR||TQ 3622 9555|
Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 127
G R Wright & Sons Ltd, The story of a family business (G R Wright & Sons Ltd, no date)
Wright, Lindy, The history of G R Wright and Sons Limited flour millers, 1070-1970 (unpublished, 1970)