William King Flour Mill, Uxbridge
The mill was built in 1836 and converted to roller mills during the ownership of William King. It was then purchased by the Cornwell family.
There were originally two waterwheels; when Stanley Freese visited in the 1930s one was still working and powering millstones, while the roller mill machinery was powered by a water turbine.
In the 1950s the mill passed into the ownership of Allied Mills and additional mill buildings and silos were added over the years. Following closure in 2001 these were demolished and the original building was incorporated into a set of apartments.
|Alternative names||William King's Mill, King's Mill, New Mill, New Mills|
|Power source||Electricity, Water|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill, Watermill|
|Mill functions||Corn mill|
|NGR||TQ 0517 8481|
Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 110
Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007), p. 172
CORN-01 - Letters from Guy Cornwell to the Mills Archive