Battersea Flour Mills, Battersea
The mill was constructed in 1833. It was owned at one time by the Mayhew family, and later by Rank Hovis McDougall.
The mill was remodelled by Henry Simon in 1970. An 80 sack mill, it produced 10 tonnes of white bread-making flour per hour. The screen room (wheat cleaning) was remodelled and upgraded by Swiss engineers Buhler in 1984. North American wheat was brought up the River by barge from Tilbury docks. The majority of wheat was grown in the UK and brought in by road. Following increased capacity at Solent Mills, Southampton and increasing London land values and environmental pressures the mill ceased production in 1995 and was demolished in 1998, being replaced by apartments.
|Alternative names||Mark Mayhew Mill|
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill functions||Corn mill|
|NGR||TQ 268 769|
Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 104