Britannia Flour Mills, Portslade
These steam powered mills were built in 1853 for John Borrer, on the site of on old windmill. By 1856 they belonged to Charles Richard Smith. Roller mills replaced stones and in 1912 they became the second mill in England powered by electricity. The mill remained in the hands of the Smith family until c 1930 when it was sold to Mark Mayhew Ltd. They ceased work by 1933 and were demolished in October 1936.
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill functions||Corn mill|
|NGR||TQ 2588 0501|