Nelstrops Albion Flour Mills, Stockport
The original mill on this site was built in 1820 by William Nelstrop, and was powered by steam. This mill was destroyed in a fire in 1893, and the mill was rebuilt in 1894. The rebuilding proved for the opportunity to replace all but one of the stone grinding mills with new Henry Simon steel rollermills. Nelstrops Family Flour Millers added a second mill to the site in the 1990's, and continue to run the mill to this day. During excavations for a new office complex Nestrops discovered a large millstone on the site, suggesting that a windmill may have occupied this location centuries before the mill was built in 1820.
|Alternative names||Albion Mills, Nelstrops Flour Mills|
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill functions||Corn mill|
|NGR||SJ 893 913|
Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 020