Hecker Mill, New York
Croton Flour Mills were established in 1843, by George Hecker. This was done to supply fine flour to his brother John Hecker, who owned a bakery on Rutger’s Street, New York.
The original mill on this site was destroyed by a fire in 1846. It was rebuilt with a fireproof building later that same year. In 1850, a granery was added next door to the mill, and by 1851 it employed 70 people. It specialised in farina, a finely milled wheat cereal.
The mill was destroyed by another fire on 31 July 1882.
|Alternative names||Croton Flour Mills|
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill functions||Corn mill|
|Location||Cherry Street, New York|
The Finance Chronicle and Insurance Circular (2 February 1885)