Beacon Mills, Whitehaven

A Electricity and Steam powered Corn mill and Oatmeal mill in the historic county of Cumberland, England.

Poster Image

John Pattinson & Son's were the original owners of Beacon Mills. After World War 1, trading became difficult for the mill, however, during World War 2 when there was a grain shortage, the mill was adapted to roll oats rather than flour. Much of this production went into Quaker Oats, who bought the mill in 1949. They ran the mill until the 1960's, when they shut it down. The mill has since been demolished.

Full details

Alternative names Pattinson's Mills
Power source Electricity, Steam
Mill type Roller flour mill
Mill functions Corn mill, Oatmeal mill
Archive ID 13341
Location Whitehaven, Cumbria
Historic county Cumberland
Country England
NGR NX 974 184
Latitude 54.55201996984309
Longitude -3.5868725157879453

Location

Sources

Shorland-Ball, Rob & Brian McGee, The roller milling revolution: Master list of researched and located mills (2013), mill no. 34

Ordnance Survey 25 inch map, Cumberland LXVII.2 (1925)

Milling (19 October 1907)

www.whitehavennews.co.uk

www.cultrans.com

www.ads.ahds.ac.uk