Paine’s Flour Mill, St Neots
Grade II Listed former flour mill. Built in 1847 for John Medlock, it was sold in 1855 to Joshua Malden, thence to Thomas Smith in 1859. He sold it to William Paine in 1865 who undertook extensive improvements to the operating systems. In 1879 the original mill building was pulled down to make way for a more modern combined millstone and roller flour mill and was fitted by Mr C. Hopkinson, of Retford, opening in 1880. On the 10 January 1909, the mill was completely destroyed by a fire. It was quickly rebuilt, designed by Edward Jabez Paine, with a complete modern roller plant and reopened in January 1910. Milling continued until 1990 when the business was voluntarily liquidated.
|Alternative names||Nutters Mill, Bedford Street Mills|
|Power source||Electricity, Steam|
|Mill type||Roller flour mill|
|Mill functions||Corn mill|
|NGR||TL 184 606|