Brill Windmill, Brill
The mill was constructed in the 1680s, and rebuilt and repaired several times throughout its life. It was originally constructed for Isaac Cummings and passed through numerous owners and tenants, eventually being worked by members of the Nixey family, which led to it being given the name Nixey's Mill. The last miller Albert Nixey took over in 1906.
The mill appears to have fallen out of use during WWI, although it may have been used to grind animal feed as late as 1923. In 1927 it was sold to a local landowner and preserved by a trust. In 1947 the county council took over responsibility for maintaining the mill, and it has since been periodically repaired and restored. The mill is Grade II* Listed.
|Alternative names||Nixey's Mill|
|Mill type||Post mill|
|Mill functions||Corn mill|
|NGR||SP 65199 14148|
Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
Bonwick, Luke, Brill Windmill, Buckinghamshire: The History, Technology, Conservation and Repair of a 17th -century Post Mill (Buckinghamshire County Council, 2010)
Smith, Arthur C, Windmills in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire: a contemporary survey (Stevenage Museum publications, 1976)
Smith, Donald, English windmills, vol 2 (Architectural Press, 1932), p.133