The Vatch Mill, Slad
Originally a corn mill called Veyseies Mill and owned from the 16th - 18th centuries by the Clissold family. In the early 19th century it was occupied by Henry Wyatt, and was rebuilt after a fire in 1827. By the mid 19th century it was a woollen mill, powered by water and steam, and was owned successively by N S Marling, William Fluck and Robert Hastings. It was demolished c 1900. Some cottages were retained, and further houses were built with recycled stone and brick from the mill.
|Alternative names||Veyseies Mill|
|Mill functions||Corn mill, Woollen mill|
|NGR||SO 871 066|
Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
A P Baggs, A R J Jurica and W J Sheils, 'Stroud: Economic history', in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds, ed. N M Herbert and R B Pugh (London, 1976), pp. 119-132. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol11/pp119-132 [accessed 6 March 2018].