Ford End Mill, Ford End Farm, Ivinghoe
On the Whistle Brook, this Grade II Listed mill was working daily when Stanley Freese visited in the 1930s. Constructed with a yellow-brick lower floor, and with tarred wooden upper walls and galvanised roofing, the mill was in sound condition. The overshot wheel, constructed of iron and with six arms, was housed in a lean-to located at the northern end of the mill. The earliest record of the mill is from 1616. In 1791 the miller was Henry Heley; in 1798 William Heley; and William Tompkins held the mill for 50 years from about 1842. Charles Jellis took over the mill early in the 20th century and was the owner when Freese visited. The mill was still in working order when visited by JK Major in 1973 and remains in working order as a result of the efforts of volunteers.
|Mill functions||Corn mill|
|NGR||SP 94095 16576|
Anthony Bryan, Mills Research Group Database
Farley, Michael, Edward Legg and James Venn (Ed), The Watermills of Buckinghamshire: A 1930s account by Stanley Freese with original photographs (Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society, 2007)
Major, J K, SPAB Mills Section Record Card (1973)