Bromham Mill, Bromham
Bromham Mill, listed grade II, has been owned and maintained by Bedfordshire County Council since 1973. It is a multi-phase building of stone, brick and half-timbered, standing close to the medieval Bromham bridge with its long causeway. The stone portion of the building bears the date 1858, which probably reflects a rebuilding. There are earlier dates elsewhere but these may relate to flooding events rather than the mill's construction.
Water power was used here regularly until 1930 when a Petter oil engine was installed, after which water power was only used intermittently. After 1935, river levels became too low and the use of the waterwheel was prohibited by the Great Ouse River Board. The river upstream of the mill gradually silted up, and it was only in 1981, when the weir was rebuilt, that water power could again be used to operate the mill.
The building effectively houses two mills under one roof. The restored cast-iron internal waterwheel, manufactured by Ben Anstee of Kempton in 1908, drives two pairs of stones. The principal internal machinery is also of cast iron, with wooden cogs in the great spur wheel and crown wheel. A second waterwheel drove another three pairs of millstones, and these remain in place, although the wheel has been removed.
Bromham mill is looked after by the Friends of Bromham Mill.
|Mill functions||Corn mill|
|NGR||TL 01069 50685|
Bryan, Anthony, Mills Research Group Database
Howes, Hugh, The windmills and watermills of Bedfordshire (Book Castle, 2009)